Andre Michaux Society
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation’s program of planned gifts to the Parkway honors the legacy of Andre Michaux, the French explorer who inspired many to examine, understand and enjoy the wonders of the Blue Ridge Mountains. To acknowledge those stewards who have included a gift to the Parkway in their estate planning, the Foundation has developed the Michaux Society membership program.
From our beginnings in 1997, the Foundation envisioned that we would protect the Parkway for generations to come. If you have that same vision for the Parkway, a planned gift can become your legacy of that commitment and support.
With individual vision and generosity, many of our supporters have included the Foundation in their estate planning. Giving options include:
- Endowment: Establish an endowment with a gift of $5000 or more.
- Bequest: You may include the Foundation in your will for a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, or a remainder gift after bequests to other interests have been paid. This may be done by simply adding a codicil to your existing will. A bequest provides an estate tax deduction for the donor.
- Life Insurance: This option allows you to make a substantial gift to the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation. When you make the Foundation the owner and beneficiary of a policy, your premium payments are fully deductible, and the policy’s value is not part of your taxable estate. With an existing policy, you are entitled to an immediate income tax benefit. Or, you can name the Foundation as the policy beneficiary for a federal estate deduction for the entire amount at your death.
- Charitable Trusts: A variety of Charitable Trusts allow income-tax deductions and add to your current income for yourself and/or a beneficiary, while also giving you the satisfaction of making a substantial gift to the Foundation. Trusts may provide fixed payouts or variable annual payments to the donor. A trust may be funded with cash, appreciated securities, or real estate.
- Real Estate Gifts with Retained Life Interest: With a gift of property, you can continue to live at a personal residence and avoid future capital-gain tax on the property’s appreciation.
- Stocks or other Securities: When you donate securities in lieu of cash, you receive a charitable deduction for their full market value on the date of your gift and you do not pay any capital gains tax on the appreciation in the securities.
All Michaux Society members enjoy certain benefits of joining this select group. These benefits include:
- A personalized certificate declaring your unique dedication to preserving the Blue Ridge Parkway for future generations
- Lifelong subscription to The Scenic, the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation’s semi-annual publication highlighting the Foundation’s current projects and donors
- A copy of the Foundation’s Annual Report, notices about our work and other special publications
- Invitations to and special recognition at Foundation events
Please contact the Foundation’s Director of Development at (704) 267-1598 to discuss developing a planned gift for the Foundation. All inquiries are confidential. IRS Tax benefits for planned gifts vary by situation and circumstance. Please consult an independent legal or financial advisor prior to making any significant contribution. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
- Projects & Programs
- Support The Parkway
- Get Involved
- About Us
Support the Blue Ridge Parkway